Saturday, June 27, 2009

What is the Good News?

The following is my thoughts and struggles toward articulating a philosophy of ministry in the south specifically, as well as, in any other context (hopefully).

When I am talking to someone in the south and I make the statement "the gospel" or "good news" The first and only thing is, is that I am referring to salvation.



(Step 1) Salvation being:

"I am a sinner that is danger of going to hell and that if I do not want to be tormented for all eternity in this hell, I need to recognize that I am a sinner, confess it to Jesus Christ and accept that He was the sacrifice that had to be given to save me." This is usually what is articulated in especially the south and many churches around the U.S.. There is some focus on the kingdom:

(Step 2) The Kingdom as I would argue it is:

The Kingdom is about helping the poor, self sacrifice, loving your enemies, being ethical about business practices, being transparent, humility, loving and desiring to know people other than people that look like you, acting on social justice, caring for widows and orphans, learning to be poor in spirit, and much much more.


Over the last view years I have struggled with hearing that the kingdom was what it means to be a Christian, while in my time at TFC mostly hearing from the culture at large that Christianity is about salvation.

OK so here is the point of this theological system (Dave I only call it a system because they need me to. If I had it my way this note would be one title and a sentence "Nate's N.U.T.S. Love God, Love People")

Take step two and show the world there is something more to the world. Jesus offers a life of excitement, joy, beauty, creativity, love, acceptance, companionship, everything can be found in the kingdom. Than when they are around those that are doing this "kingdom thing" thats when we say hey come to really know Jesus, come and know your accepted and that Jesus paid for the way for you to truly know God and see the kingdom in a way that only I person "saved" can. Thus completing step one.




I have been listening to people smarter than me say this stuff for a long time and this is how I word it (for the most part).

No comments:

Post a Comment